07/06/17 – Teaching Pastor
About the organization:
Tahoe Forest Church (TFC) was planted in late 2000 by founding pastor, Mike Sampson, with the goal to plant a new, contemporary church that was forward-looking. TFC would be a place where the music was alive, the message would be relevant, the kids would love it, and the guests wouldn’t feel intimidated. That passion remains to this day.
Those who call TFC home come from various experiences and spiritual backgrounds, but share the strong desire to live authentically without being bogged down by religious structure or pretense. TFC strives to operate from seven core values that focus its ministry efforts. Those values follow the acronym “On Belay”, which anchor the spirit of how TFC does ministry.
OPEN – Compassionate relationships with people demonstrating the lifestyle of Jesus; loving one another, connecting with each other, and embracing all people without condemnation or judgment.
NEW – Contemporary worship, alive and exciting: a relevant expression to God designed to be a life-changing experience.
BEGINNING – An authentic relationship with God through His Son Jesus Christ: becoming competent in the Bible, consistent in prayer, and faithful in worship.
ENJOYING – Life’s journey, the joys of life, good humor, and laughter.
LEARNING – Bible truths and calling one another into accountability, growing to maturity, discovering our gifts for ministry.
ADVOCACY – For all people, especially children and youth; focusing strong ministry that encourages, builds up, and prepares children and youth for their future.
YIELDED – To the Holy Spirit; living a surrendered life, giving God the best of our time, talent, and financial blessings. Going beyond ourselves reproducing the body of Christ here and in other communities.
In 2013, Tahoe Forest Church purchased 52 acres along the Truckee river in the beautiful Tahoe area of the Sierras. This property is uniquely and strategically situated along the Interstate-80 corridor connecting Reno to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area. TFC has hopes and dreams of developing this property for ambitious ministry, service, and outreach goals in partnership with its next hire!
Size – 200 average weekly attendance | Denomination – Church of the Nazarene (Wesleyan) | Location – Truckee, CA
About the position:
Pastor Mike has led the church to an amazing position, with boundless opportunity to impact the Tahoe Forest community and beyond. After 17 fruitful years under his leadership, he feels called to set in motion a succession plan for his phasing out as Senior Pastor. The goal of this job posting is to onboard a Teaching Pastor who will begin to take up the helm of preaching and vision-casting to help propel TFC forward.
Initially, the Teaching pastor will be responsible for:
- Share the weekend preaching responsibilities with our current senior pastor.
- Oversee the appropriate and impactful development of small groups along with drawing out the potential of, and building up, point leaders and ministers (see Ephesians 4).
- Begin the process of crafting vision that aligns the core cultural and DNA components of the church with its outreach efforts to its community and beyond.
- Encourage and embody a collaborative, team-based approach to creating vision, seeking buy-in and mobilizing key leaders, staff, and volunteers.
- Demonstrate a heart for, and competence in, fostering spiritual growth and development, equipping people for living a life of significance.
- Have a passion to see people “get it”; to come alive with understanding and demonstrating their knowledge of Truth.
What we are looking for:
We believe the successful applicant will have a breadth of education, experience, and skills that demonstrate the capability and willingness to believe big, paint the picture, and motivate others to act. We are committed to finding someone with a genuine passion for ministry and a servant’s heart. Supporting materials should demonstrate the following:
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study from an accredited university program (required).
- Completion of a Master’s level degree (or higher) from an accredited seminary (preferred).
- A proven track record of significant and effective ministry leadership, preferably within a church setting of 500+.
- 10 years of relevant experience.
- Significant experience as a collaborative leader who is quick to empower and encourage staff and leadership.
- A clear, engaging, and inspirational communication style.
- Authenticity and transparency as evidenced in personal life and vocational history.
- The ability and willingness to handle conflict with grace, candor, and humility.
- An understanding and agreement with the statement of faith, mission, and core values embraced by Tahoe Forest Church.
- A leadership style that is characterized as visionary and entrepreneurial as evidenced through previous or current experience.
- Passionate about, and capable of, engaging both the church fellowship and the broader community through social media, or other effective communication channels, that serve to inform, invite, and inspire.
About the location/community:
At an elevation of 5,817’, the Tahoe Forest area is home to world-class skiing, a dense concentration of lakes, rivers, and streams, and an active culture that lives to explore its endless outdoor playground. Truckee’s downtown is a quaint, yet lively hub hosting numerous dining options, events, and activities year-round.
According to demographic studies prepared by the Percept Group, the area’s primary demographic lifestyle is categorized as Affluent, Educated Mid-Life Families with a low receptivity to religion. Household concerns rate high in Achieving a Fulfilling Marriage, Time for Recreation/Leisure, Parenting Skills, Achieving Educational Objectives, and Social Justice. A 20-mile radius around the church property yields a population reach of roughly 250,000.
Tahoe-Truckee locals are characterized as being risk-takers and adventurers; transient powder chasers and rugged professionals. Tahoe-Truckee houses a community of world influencers; people with high levels of talent and skill who can—and have—changed the world. However, the community is inclined to self-serving interests that lead to insatiable appetites and spiritual voids. A communicator and leader who can speak a compelling message of hope and mission can tap into tremendous potential to impact this area and beyond.
To apply, please send the following materials to [email protected]
-A link to a video (preferred)/audio file of you preaching
-Known Myers-Briggs, Spiritual Gifts, StrengthsFinder, and DiSC profiles (if you don’t have these, we will administer the tests before consideration).